Thursday, October 13, 2011

Nighttime

I've been thinking a lot about people and resiliency and all that keeps us going.  I wonder how people manage to keep their heads above water during difficult times... it's amazing, isn't it?  We all have a little something in us that keeps us going when we feel like we want to cash it all in.  It's in there.  It's in me, I guess. 
I've really wanted to be alone lately- or more specifically, I haven't wanted to get close to anyone.  I have wanted to keep busy and handle tasks and just kind of tread water, I guess.
I want to be quiet.

The past couple of days have been a bit tough.  Rowan has regressed a little bit- more seizures, longer seizures- he's groggier and much more irritable.  He started a new medication last night- so three for seizures now, one vitamin, one for muscles and Ativan as needed for seizures.

I think we, well I... I can't speak for Steve... got my hopes up that we were making huge strides and that he'd be his normal self again and stay that way with the medications.  And I think we can still get there, but it's become so much more real to me that this is going to be a long road full of questions, doctor's visits, medication changes, questions and more questions.  Each night I wonder how we can do this every day.  I'm tired.

I know I sound pretty negative right now, and I'm sorry for that.  Today I feel overwhelmed and scared and so conflicted.  On one hand I have the loveliest little girl I could hope for- she's amazingly smart, patient with us, and spunky.  Her chipper little voice makes my days and minutes and I adore watching her learn and grow and become her own self.

On the other hand, I have this beautiful little boy who probably won't do all of the things Lily can do.  He struggles to stay awake, to have a half hour lately without seizures, and to find noises with his eyes.  Last night he was laying on the couch and was pretty fussy.  I was moving his arms and legs to try to cheer him up.  I put his warm little hands on my face and held them there... and I thought to myself, 'Erin- remember those warm hands. Remember what they feel like and remember that there's so much life in there.'  I never want to forget his hands.




Cards, letters, angels, and a book- Bright spots that I revisit often.


No comments:

Post a Comment