Monday, November 5, 2012

Dear Rowan

Dear Rowan,
I've been thinking back to this post and to how I felt a year ago.  It was like you were with us one day, and the next you weren't. Seizures had taken over your little brain and what was there working basically failed. Your strength was tapped, appetite done, and eye contact gone.  For me, that was the most difficult aspect of you being sick. I missed connecting with you so much. It wrecked me that I couldn't engage with you one of the most intimate ways. I truly thought I'd lost that forever.

There have been countless times in the past couple of weeks that I've been moved to tears, Rowan. I lay on the floor next to you and we talk back and forth- and you look at me. You look right into my eyes and you engage and participate and act silly and wrestle. You look into my eyes and smile the sweetest, kindest smile- almost like you're telling me everything is alright.

Connecting with you is something I hope to never take for granted. I don't know how long we'll have you in our lives, and I don't know what the next year will bring for any of us- but as long as we have each other, we'll be ok.

I am certain you know you're loved. And I certainly know I am by you. Thank you for that, my dear.


2 comments:

  1. What a sweetheart!! We love that little guy...and the rest of y'all as well.

    His smile melts my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about you the other day when I was giving Talia a bath. How you were meant to be Rowan's mother and he was meant to be yours. Your perseverance and strength astounds me. I have always known you are strong but you have the world on your shoulders and you need to know how much you are admired. Clearly you show Rowan and sometimes it is just good to hear.

    ReplyDelete