Monday, October 29, 2012

A peaceful weekend

We had such a nice weekend with the kids- both were, for the most part, delightful to be around.

We've declared Saturday to be 'Sweets Day' and Sunday to be 'Fun Day' at home. The sweets-baking isn't helping my waistline, but it is sure a fun thing to do with Lily.  I think we've all tried to focus more on having a good time together than on trying to cram as much cleaning and tasking as possible into one weekend.  Everyone is happier... and a little bit of dirt matters so little in the grand scheme of things.

Quote of the weekend from Lily: "When I pee will I see teeny marshmallows and chocolate pee?" said after drinking a cup of hot cocoa.  Don't worry, all- I cleared up her confusion:)

Rowan had a strong weekend. He was very vocal and practiced looking at lots of different things.  As I mentioned before, I'm super focused on helping his vision to improve. I've been reading the book, Little Bear Sees and have recently ordered items from Amazon; strings of yellow and pink lights, red mylar wrapping paper, a two-sided mirror.  I want to make sure everything he does is stimulating his vision and that we're focusing on bettering one of the abilities he DOES have. He may not walk. He may never say a word.  But he can see...


On that note, we're moving forward on having a Vagal Nerve Stimulator implanted in Rowan.  I received a form to sign and to fax back to get the actual device ordered.
These forms always take my breath away. No matter how many I receive. Ones like this remind me that, although Rowan is strong and had a good, fun weekend... He's still got a bad brain. He's still fragile and we do have a long road ahead.  I think both Steve and I are so good lately at loving our children deeply and in the moment- and at celebrating inchstones with Rowan, and I can only speak for myself, but sometimes I get so used to Rowan just being 'Rowan', I forget how serious things are. I am sure that sounds silly-because trust me, I remember he is sick.  The day-to-day and the fact that I HAVE to be accustomed to his condition, though, makes me forget things like this: 



No comments:

Post a Comment