Saturday, December 3, 2011

Birthday wishes

Age 36 has come, and although I wasn't aware I had wishes, they seem to have come true. I got some time with my children, some much-needed time with Steve, and some time to clean and organize (weird, I know).
But wishes are funny things, aren't they? Sometimes I can't help but wish and other times I feel so silly doing so. Today Steve and I were driving listening to a story on NPR about a woman who'd been in an accident. She described all the therapies she'll need to endure - or get to endure- through the coming months and years and I said, 'I wish Rowan had that opportunity'. Isn't that funny, though. Wishing he had the opportunity to learn to walk, or to learn to do things. Maybe funny isn't the right word.
I guess what I'm trying to say is; life changes and your wishes adjust.  But this is true with everyone. No one has a perfect life without shifts and changes- happy times and sad times.  Everyone experiences pain. We're not immune from that- no one is.
I'm not scared. But adjustments take time- and orienting my brain and my heart to the changes that have occurred and preparing for the future sneaks up on me. Little by little we adjust. I suspect that's how everyone does it. 
Here is where my heart is, though... always.


1 comment: