Friday, April 26, 2013

Erin Goes Green



Alright- New obsession.

And if it's my new obsession, it's about to get real for the Hammer Mayer clan.  Zero Waste Home is where this all began, and I'll keep you updated on our progress!





 THIS. This is going to be in our house soon. I've been given the ok to order it (after much discussion, several promises, and a tad bit of begging I'm not even remotely embarrassed about) from my partner.  Here's the deal, folks. I have always, and I mean always wanted to compost. I have no idea why- but I'm so stinkin' excited about trying it.
(please don't be like the juicer, please don't be like the juicer...)



These awesome jars came in the mail yesterday. Huge box and lots of packaging, but I have plans for that- Lily and I are going to build something with the box and use it for art projects.

I went shopping today with one jar and took a look around the store from a different perspective. I was checking out the bulk foods section, the bulk seasonings section, the produce, organic, olive bar and salad bar primarily.  I wanted to get a feel for the types of foods available so I can plan some meals.
I also wanted to gauge how many jars and bags I'll need to bring home different items.

Since I'm also on a mission to rid our house of BPA plastics and chemicals, I have been paying much more attention to packaging, as well.

I'm at the very beginning of this journey- but have made one switch in Lily's breakfasts I'm pretty proud of; She loves pre-packaged oatmeal- and I haven't minded giving it to her much because I think it helps keep her regular and because we've had some issues with number 2's over the past year.

Instead of her pre-packaged sweetness, I've been making her:

  • Raw Oats
  • Sugar in the Raw
  • Cinnamon
  • Hemp Seed
  • A few chocolate chips (to keep her interested)
  • Almond Milk
She's happy and I'm happy. I'm sure I'll find ways to make these little recipes even healthier, but for a beginner, I'm  not disappointed.

Ok- that's it for now.
Tonight I'm going to make some whipped body lotion.
Pretty excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment