Monday, July 30, 2012

Erin's (attempt at) Hobbies- Wall Hangings

Most of you are aware that I'm a regular attendee of DIY Wood Studio here in Fargo.

I guess I've established myself as the scavenger of the group because my all time favorite thing to do is pick up scraps of wood and try to put them to good use.

Here is a project I completed with wood that was lying around the studio. The tools I used for this project were:
  • Saw-Stop Table saw
  • Miter Saw
  • Jointer
  • Clamps
  • Glue
  • Tung Oil
  • Keyhole Bit

First I rustled up some wood pieces I thought were varied in color and texture and gathered them together.





The next step (which I don't have pictures of, unfortunately) is to cut the different pieces of wood to the lengths and widths desired. I used the miter saw and table saw to accomplish this step.

Then I took the wood pieces over to the jointer to make sure the edges were even to ensure a good, solid seal during my clamping and gluing phase.

Next, I glued and clamped the pieces together by twos and let them dry an adequate amount of time.



 After the smaller sections were dried, I glued and clamped those together to make larger sections secure.


 I finished this project by gluing some smaller pieces of wood on top of the clamped sections to add dimension and visual interest.  Once the pieces were completely dried, I coated the whole project with Tung Oil.

I used a keyhole bit to make the hole for hanging on the back of each and centered the hole by weight.

Here's the completed project:



I'd love to hear your feedback and comments on these pieces...


No comments:

Post a Comment