Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Grandparents

I met with a Realtor today whom I consider a good person and a friend. We mostly talked about life and family.  She's recently gotten a couple of grandchildren and has two more on the way. It was really so nice listening to her tell stories and explain how she'd turned her lower level into a kid play land complete with an actual shopping cart.  It really is amazing how grandparents love their grandchildren, isn't it?
It's as if parents turn into totally different people once grand babies are born- or at least that's how it occurred to me watching my parents.  And I really can't think of a better way to describe 'the change'. My parents are great people- always have been. I love them way more than they probably know and consider myself to be extremely fortunate for the set I wound up with.  But they truly have changed since I had children.
Our children's grandparents and great grandparents' generosity when it comes to time spent, cards sent, and gifts given is astounding.  They'll drop almost anything to help us or to be able to spend quality time with the kids. And mostly they just want to watch Lil or Rowan do stuff.
It seems to me grandparents are happiest sitting down and watching kids play, listening to them tell little stories to their ponies, or to watch milestones occur.
My mom always says that when she's with the kids, she doesn't worry about a thing. She can forget about stresses, bills, arguments- she is just there with them. Time stops and she can watch the joy in big blue eyes and hear a chirpy little voice tell stories.
I love watching the grandparents with my children. I love watching my kids being so loved. We're lucky in that regard; that we are surrounded with fantastic people... It sure does make me want to be a better person.

2 comments:

  1. My Mom became this totally fun, cool(!), person when she became a Grandma....My kids are teenagers and still love their adventures with her. When they were babies it was a simple adventure of going to the bank with her, but now it's things like taking the Underground Seattle tour. At her recent birthday bash, we all took turns telling stories and memories, and my son stood up to say spending Saturday nights with her, and watching her favorite TLC shows, were some of the best nights of his childhood. I hope to be just like her when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool, Michelle. It's so neat how our relationships with our mothers changes once children arrive, too.

      Delete